Re: Configuring gnu-gnu-gnu on OSX 10.3.4

From: Thierry DELHAISE
Subject: Re: Configuring gnu-gnu-gnu on OSX 10.3.4
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:00:13 +0200

Adam,

First thanks for you help.

Perhaps you could send the config.log file to me?

Sure, i'll send you out of the list (directly) if it allways interest you. See below why.

I 've verified that ffi.h is present in /usr/local/gcc3.4/include.

configure looks for ffi like a normal library, so it assumes ffi.h is somewhere like /usr/local/include. You could try adding this to the configure line:

--with-ffcall-include=/usr/local/gcc3.4/include

So my trick was : (MrBIOS on irc suggest me) :

./configure --with-libffi=/usr/local/include since the header was here : i don't know why : it's seems curious to me founding this header here since it have been installed with gcc3.4. I was thinking gcc was installing its own headers in a specials directory not in /usr/local/include

So with this, I reached one step : but failed beacause ffi.h include an other headers "ffitarget.h". This last one was curiously not installed by the "make install" of gcc3.4. So I've copied this header in /usr/local/include.

With those two tricks, I've reached end of configure step.

So know I have a "I supposed to be" a woking gcc3.4 compiler and a configured GNUstep core/base library.

When I run "make" (nothing more, nothing less) : the compilation first failed with :

In file included from objc-load.m:54:
dynamic-load.h: In function `__objc_dynamic_get_symbol_path':
dynamic-load.h:102: error: `Dl_info' undeclared (first use in this function) dynamic-load.h:102: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
dynamic-load.h:102: error: for each function it appears in.)
dynamic-load.h:102: error: parse error before "info"
dynamic-load.h:112: warning: implicit declaration of function `dladdr'
dynamic-load.h:112: error: `info' undeclared (first use in this function) make[2]: *** [shared_obj/powerpc/darwin7/gnu-gnu-gnu/objc-load.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libgnustep-base.all.library.variables] Error 2
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

So the error is I have to dlfcn.h : one in /usr/local/inlcude, the second from /usr/include (the OSX one). Don't know where the dlfcn.h comme from (i supposed it come from fink : i have this tools installed).

So renamed /usr/local/include/dlfcn.h on /usr/local/include/dlfcn.h.old to use the OS/X one.

Here I suggest that ./configure perform a new test during configuring phase to test the usability of dlfcn.h. Since checking it's present isn't sufficient.

Re-run make : and failed to with (Sorry for the long cut/paste)

ld: warning prebinding disabled because dependent library: /usr/local/gcc3.4/lib/libffi-2.00-beta.dylib is not prebound
ld: warning undefined symbols:
___objc_exec_class
_objc_get_class
_objc_msg_lookup
_objc_alignof_type
_objc_calloc
_objc_get_type_qualifiers
_objc_sizeof_type
_objc_skip_argspec
_objc_skip_type_qualifiers
_objc_skip_typespec
_sel_get_type
_sel_types_match
_objc_msg_lookup_super
_sel_get_name
___objc_class_name_Protocol
_objc_free
_objc_lookup_class
_objc_malloc
_objc_layout_structure
_objc_layout_structure_get_info
_objc_layout_structure_next_member
_objc_next_class
___objc_class_name_Object
_sel_register_typed_name
_sel_get_any_typed_uid
_sel_get_typed_uid
_sel_register_name
_sel_get_any_uid
_objc_condition_allocate
_objc_condition_broadcast
_objc_condition_deallocate
_objc_condition_wait
_objc_mutex_allocate
_objc_mutex_deallocate
_objc_mutex_lock
_objc_mutex_trylock
_objc_mutex_unlock
_objc_thread_id
___objc_responds_to
_class_pose_as
_get_imp
_objc_get_stream_class_version
_objc_msg_sendv
_objc_verror
_gnustep_base_user_main
___objc_is_multi_threaded
___objc_runtime_mutex
___objc_runtime_threads_alive
_objc_set_thread_callback
_objc_thread_detach
_objc_thread_exit
_objc_thread_get_data
_objc_thread_get_priority
_objc_thread_set_data
_objc_thread_set_priority
_objc_realloc
__objc_load_callback
___objc_msg_forward
_objc_skip_offset
___objc_resolve_class_links
___objc_update_dispatch_table_for_class
_class_add_method_list
_class_get_class_method
_class_get_instance_method
_objc_aligned_size
_search_for_method_in_list
_sel_is_mapped
Making all in SSL...
Making all for bundle SSL...
 Creating SSL.bundle/powerpc/darwin7/gnu-gnu-gnu...
 Compiling file GSSSLHandle.m ...
gcc: unrecognized option `-no-cpp-precomp'
 Linking bundle SSL ...
gcc: couldn't run `undle-gcc-3.4.1': No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [SSL.bundle/powerpc/darwin7/gnu-gnu-gnu/SSL] Error 1
make[1]: *** [SSL.all.bundle.variables] Error 2
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

Any idea ?

BeFree (Thierry DELHAISE)