patch for observance of $HOME

From: Armando Di Cianno
Subject: patch for observance of $HOME
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 19:04:43 -0500

I know this has been discussed previously, and both Debian and Gentoo (heh, me), have had issues with GNUstep.sh, it's use of make_services, and assumptions about the user environment.

Problems became apparent to me, using Gentoo's portage sandox, that the installation of the GNUstep libraries, which except for gnustep-make, is dependant on GNUstep.sh, assumes that the use of a user's "proper" $HOME is available, and ignore's the environment's "configured" $HOME.

Being able to configure the $HOME environment variable has made the package management nightmares I was having go away. I've put together a patch that effects NSUser.m in -base and user_home.c in -make.

I've thought a lot about possible consequences, and the only one I can come up with is "Is the getenv() function secure enough on all platforms we support?" For this reason, I ask that anyone please go over this patch for GNUstep-ness, go over for coding correctness and security, and don't flame me too bad 'cause I know this was discussed and supposedly solved already.

Thanks,
__Armando Di Cianno

<base-nsuser-home-fix.patch>