Re: app wrappers and gworkspace

From: Raffael Herzog
Subject: Re: app wrappers and gworkspace
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:40:55 +0200

Alex Perez wrote:

Please note that I am not saying we shouldnot use appwrappers, just that they should be automagically generated fornon-gnustep apps in a more intelligent, canonical manner. The easy way ofgoing about this in a non-gnustep-centric, standardized way is by using.desktop entries, per the specification (which, as I will re-iterate, isalready in widespread use outside of the GNUstep comminuty) here: http://freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec/0.9.4/

That's a very nice idea. I've just included some very rudimentary support for loading .desktop files, but it's far from complete and I didn't manage yet to tell GNUstep to save it as .app even though it's been loaded from a .desktop file (the Cocoa docs state that setting NSRole=Viewer for .desktop files should do the job, but gnustep-gui doesn't seem to honour this).

By StepTalk-enabling GSWrapper this could be made scriptable so that you just need to run a script to get a bunch of wrappers. Or, maybe, I'll simply include it in GSWrapper.

Anyway, I'm planning to release this week-end.

cu,
   Raffi

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference, but in practice, there is.