Re: kvm problem with FreeBSD

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: kvm problem with FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:08:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Stefan Kleine Stegemann wrote:

> Grmpflz. Seems like kvm (at least the kvm_getenvv function) cannot
> work without
> the proc filesystem. As mentioned earlier, I've disabled proc-fs on my
> box because
> it has been suggested in the installation instructions.
>
> The only way that seems to work for me is not to use libkvm on FreeBSD
> systems
> without proc-fs support. I disabled kvm usage by hacking the configure
> script
> and GNUstep works again. Can we add a flag like --without-kvm to
> configure in
> gnustep-base?

Wouldn't it be cleaner to make configure check the following: If the
platform is FreeBSD, and /proc does not exist, automatically disable kvm.
This way we won't have hordes of folk complaining (rightly so) when trying
to compile GNUstep under FreeBSD, because they have to explicitly use
--without-kvm