Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:41:19 +0100

Le 21 août 04, à 16:35, Quentin Mathé a écrit :

I think I disagree with you…
First what you said is not true, most Mac OS X icons include a "breathing space", it is even an implicit rule for an application icon which can be placed in the Dock, otherwise Dock icons would be in contact when they are side by side. Anyway we need a rule here, to avoid the Mac OS X problem where most icons have a "breathing space" and some haven't, and I think it is a better rule to said to the icon designer that the icons shouldn't be in contact directly with their frame than the reverse; moreover to have a "breathing space" will help to port Mac OS X applications, because it is an implicit rule with Mac OS X icons as I said.

Personally I don't think it's really important -- we could very well scale the icon if needed.. so it's more a matter of We just need to chose to use it or not -- the important thing is consistency.

 Also, I would get rid of the 30-degree folder icons. Find some other
way, like making them more plain and simple, using only a few colors,
while making more important and less common icons more detailed and
interesting.

As it explained, in our guidelines, the shape variations is the most efficient way to speed the icons perception, especially at small size like 16*16. We could also use vivid colors like red to mark the folder icon but I don't think it is a good idea to have red folders even without considering color perceptions problems which affect many peole. As such in my opinion, I think we have with the "30 degrees folder icons", the most distinctive shape possible when mixed with documents icons, then it is currently the best solution I can think of, especially when you consider the fact it will still be less "intrusive" than applications icons when the icon view (32*32 size or more) is used, this is also important.

The thing that I'm not entirely convainced is if that special distinction is really needed... I agree that having the folder icons slightly rotated is a good idea, but it also an additional requirement for the icon graphist, and perhaps too broad.

After all, the important thing is to have a consistency among the directories -- ie, they will all have the same basic icon, even if you compose some
graphical elements on top of it (think about a lock, etc.)

About the 16x16 icons, I doubt people will browse their filesystem with that size -- in the case of a browser view (with icons on the left of the cell), there is another important indsight for the user: the small arrow on the right of the cell.

That's one of the guidelines I'm not entirely sure..

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke