Re: Suggestions for icon sets

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Suggestions for icon sets
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:53:41 +0100

Le 21 août 04, à 17:31, M. Uli Kusterer a écrit :

Hi,

I just thought I'd look around on KDE-Look etc. to see if there are any
not-too-fancy icon sets which aren't the KDE defaults (AFAIK) and which
could be used for GNUstep with the new IconKit... Here's a few possible
candidates:

Exquisite:
Has some KDE-ish gears in some of the icons, but otherwise looks fairly
nice. A little reminiscent of Aqua, and goes with the current crop of
photorealistic icons.
http://kde-look.org/content/preview.php? preview=1&id=14788&file1=14788-1.
jpg&file2=14788-2.jpg&file3=14788-3.jpg&name=Exquisite

wow, a bit too "heavy" for me :-) (and they are completely against our guidelines..)
but yes, otherwise they are well done.

Cezanne:
This set is kinda split up, and I think the folder icons are too faint,
but otherwise they look nice.
http://kde-look.org/content/preview.php? preview=1&id=14800&file1=14800-1.
png&file2=&file3=&name=Cezanne+Document+Icons
http://kde-look.org/content/preview.php? preview=1&id=14641&file1=14641-1.
png&file2=&file3=&name=Cezanne+Image+Icons
http://kde-look.org/content/preview.php? preview=1&id=14891&file1=14891-1.
png&file2=&file3=&name=Cezanne+Folder+Icons

I _really_ like the documents/images icons ..
The folder icons are frankly not good though. :-)

Ximian OOo Crystal SVG:
Sadly only a few app icons for OOo, but they look neat nonetheless.
http://kde-look.org/content/preview.php? preview=1&id=13132&file1=13132-1. png&file2=13132 -2.png&file3=&name=Ximian+OpenOffice.org+Crystal+SVG+Icons

yes, looks very neat, indeed.

Here's a few more that aren't really suitable but which I liked
nonetheless:

Umicons 2.0:
Too fancy for a default theme, but a great design nonetheless... if a
little scary.
http://kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=7214&file1=7214 -1.jp
g&file2=7214-2.jpg&file3=&name=Umicons+2.0

yep, not sure it's good ..

Free Icons:
Kind of cartoonish with a BeOS kind of feel. Probably not that easy to
design for either, but good icon design nonetheless.
http://kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=2&id=1822&file1=1822 -1.jp
g&file2=1822-2.jpg&file3=1822-3.jpg&name=Free+Icons

probably too BeOS feel..

SNOWE2-Tangerine-Template:
Kinda nice-looking, though it contains lots of stolen MacOS X icons, so
I guess it'd be legally dangerous to use this.
http://kde-look.org/content/preview.php? preview=1&id=13507&file1=13507-1.
jpg&file2=13507-2.jpg&file3=13507-3.jpg&name=SNOWE2-Tangerine-Template

I think so :-)

Evolve:
Not sure about this one, very colorful and unique but probably too hard
for non-professionals to create icons in a matching style for.
http://kde-look.org/content/preview.php? preview=1&id=14934&file1=14934-1.
png&file2=&file3=&name=Evolve

a bit too colorful probably ..

thanks for the review !

I really like the OOo icon sets, we could perhaps want something along the same way ...
Else, I like the classical Cezanne, very well done.

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke