Re: Defaults for a minimal embedded GNUstep tool

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Defaults for a minimal embedded GNUstep tool
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:56:48 +0100

On 6 Sep 2004, at 16:39, Pablo Di Noto wrote:

Hi all,

I wrote a small tool with GNUstep using only gnustep-{base|make}-1.9.2;
It runs inside a small embedded-type i386 machine, so it is being built with a toolchain based on uClibc.

Everything works, which shows how portable GNUstep is and how much you rock, guys. :)

Now since the tool is not running within a real GNUstep enviroment, I get some complains:

20:51:34.564 Tool[144] Unknown time zone name `ART'.
20:51:34.566 Tool[144] Using time zone with absolute offset 0.
20:51:34.561 Tool[144] No path specified for bundle
20:51:34.572 Tool[144] Improper installation: No language locale found

So the question is:

Can I set default values into the tool (using no external files) to avoid those messages? Where should I look for examples?

Not really ... but you can silence the thing programmatically either by changing the descriptor that NSLog writes to, or by replacing the handler function which performs the write.

See base/Source/NSLog.m for details. This stuff should be documented properly, but is pretty hard to find right now I'm afraid.

However ... if you have no resources ... you have no characterset information ... I'd be worried about that in almost any program.
The timezone stuff is less critical.