Re: NSTextView issue

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: NSTextView issue
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:55:18 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Andreas,

> I just tried NSTextView for the first time and am rather dissapointed.
> It does not seem to be usable at all.

This is a rather hard statement. NSTextView has been used in different
places, Ink.app for example, and it seem to work rather well there. I
understand that you are frustrated to find it not working for you, still you
should pay more respect to the great work that Alexander and others put in
here.

> Is anybody actually using NSTextView? I would pretty much appreciate if
> someone could provide me with some working sample code (setting up
> NSTextView, NSTextContainer in a NSScrollView).The code I use on MacOSX
> unfortunately does not lead to any useful results on GNUstep (Solaris).
> I am wondering whether this is a Solaris issue or a general problem.

Solaris may always be a problem, as GNUstep doesn't get enough testing on
that platform and there are a few small differences to that environment, the
infamous return of structures from nil method calls just to name one.

You could have a look at the simple code in Ink.app or even better, send us
your code and we try to get it working on GNUstep. In the long run we don't
want people to adopt their code to GNUstep, rather all valid Cocoa code
should run on GNUstep directly. But keep in mind, valid is a bit more
restrictive than "it somehow works on my machine".

Cheers
Fred

--
NEU: Bis zu 10 GB Speicher für e-mails & Dateien!
1 GB bereits bei GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail