Re: Shiira

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Shiira
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:50:42 +0200

In article <mailman.2660.1095144994.1998.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 stefan@wms-network.de wrote:

> While implementing WebKit for GNUstep i recongized that Apple designed
> WebKit in a way that the rendering engine could be exchanged without too
> many problems. There are not much dependencies between WebKit and WebCore.
> Thus, it should be possible to have WebKit support khtml and gecko for
> example (or dillo if someone want's to port it :-). The programmatic
> interface for applications won't change because WebKit abstracts away
> the details of the rendering engine.

Stefan,

 any chance of coding GNUstep's WebKit and WebView in a way that would
allow using it on MacOS X as well?

 Of course while it uses WebCore, the Mac folks won't show much
interest, but once it supports other backends that may change. I guess
just naming it GSWebView and #defining that to WebView and similar
tricks would be all that's needed.

 Oh, and BTW, have you thought about contacting the OmniWeb folks?
They've open sourced stuff before, and the current version of OmniWeb
AFAIK uses WebCore under the hood as well (not Webkit, they're behind a
couple of versions, so they can't be using WebKit), maybe they'd be
interested in some sort of collaboration.

Cheers,
-- Uli
http://www.zathras.de