Re: Starting GNUstep (Debian)

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Starting GNUstep (Debian)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:00:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Riccardo wrote:

> This is ridiculous,
>

> On Thursday, September 23, 2004, at 07:45 PM, Alex Perez wrote:
>
> > G.I.N.A.D.E. G.I.N.A.D.E. G.I.N.A.D.E. G.I.N.A.D.E. G.I.N.A.D.E.
> > G N U S T E P   I S   N O T  A  D E S K T O P   E N V I R O N M E N T
> >
> > Seriously, it's not. There are several projects to *USE* GNUstep in a
> > gnustep-centric development environment, but what you are doing is akin
> > to calling 'kdelibs' a "Desktop Environment". You are comparing apples
> > to oranges, and not even realizing it.
>
> I'm beginning to be really SICK of this.

Tough.

> 1. there are people on this mailing that behave like a mix of 7-year old
> boy and a linux-zealot.

I'm far from either, but as long as we're name-calling, I can call you a
m68k/netbsd/machlinux dead-os using overbearing GNUstep user who whines
about how slow GNUstep is on his 33MHz, ancient, decrepit computer.

> 2. Gnustep is a desktop environment and a development environment. Since
> there is a name confusion, I propsed months ago to call the whole thing

As of now, no, it is not. You should note, however, that I am most
definately an advocate of turning GNUstep *INTO* a desktop environment.

There's no reason a truly official GNUstep Desktop Environment could not
be borne into existence, with a different module in CVS, which simply
built off of -base, -GUI, Gorm, ProjectCenter, GWorkspace, etc. I'd like
to see it happen, and I'd like to participate in said project.

> GNUSTEP
>
> to be able to make a distinction.
This is laughable. What "distinction" are you trying to make? I don't see
your point. Can you explain it more clearly and/or in a different fashion?

> But his is a question of naming. And if we can't get over this and just
> stick around with this "GINADE" crap then I wonder if gnustep will ever
> go somewhere in the future.

Not with the current entrenched, resistant-to-change core GNUstep
developers, no.

But neither you or I have control over this aspect, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Alex Perez