Re: ANN: myPDA-Zaurus-Edition DR4.5 - new Screen Dumps

From: Dr. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: ANN: myPDA-Zaurus-Edition DR4.5 - new Screen Dumps
Date: 26 Sep 2004 03:37:42 -0700

There is a new version available for download: DR4.5

And new Screen Shots are available at:
http://www.dsitri.de/wiki.php?page=Screenshots

It mainly fixes some glitches in the User Interface and adds
NSButtonStyle to NSButtonCell (incl. proper translation from Interface
Builder files).

A new version of the Zaurus-X-gcc cross compiler for the ARM processor
is available. It now comes with the latest libraries (mySTEP-1.9) and
updated USB drivers for the Zaurus that don't kernel panic
on MacOS X 10.3.5 as well as a working gdb package for the Zaurus.

The links for more information remain the same as originally posted.

-- hns
hns@computer.org (Dr. Nikolaus Schaller) wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> a new development (pre-)release of the Zaurus version of a "mini MacOS
> X" based on GNUstep/mGStep is available for testing, giving feedback,
> inspection, learning, comparing, etc ...
>
> It consists of four components (more or less mature)
>
> 1) mySTEP - the LGPLed toolkit libraries
>   - libFoundation
>   - libAppKit (Xraw backend),
>   - libAddressBook (written from scrach to be neat, small
>     and compatible to Cocoa naming schemes)
>   - libSystemUIPlugin (for MenuExtras)
>   - libPreferencePane (to create plugins for Settings)
>   - nib2mib (our version of nib2gmodel)
>   - and others
>
> 2) myPDA - the runtime environment (X-Server, mlvwm, SystemUIServer,
> ...)
>
> 3) myApps - Application suite (Address Book, Calculator, Calendar,
> File Finder, Viewer, Phone Dialer, Recorder, Browser, etc.)
>
> 4) Zaurus-X-gcc (2.95.3) - an ARM cross compiler plugin for Xcode
> capable of Objective-C. So application development is done on a Mac
> with Xcode, Interface Builder and Cocoa. .app bundles can be copied to
> the Zaurus to run there. For development purposes, applications can
> run on the Zaurus and redirect its graphical output to Apple X11 on
> the host Mac.
>
> All is compiled for the Sharp Zaurus (which uses an ARM-Linux 2.4) to
> fit within 32 MByte file system and 32 MByte RAM (which is the main
> reason why we can't use the latest full GNUstep and develop as a
> parallel fork). The applications are also available as "dual
> architecture bundles" for Test-Driving on a Mac OS X machine.
>
> Here the links:
>
> Product Page:    http://www.dsitri.de/wiki.php?page=myPDA-Zaurus-Edition
> mySTEP library:  http://www.dsitri.de/wiki.php?page=mySTEP
> test Drive:      http://www.dsitri.de/wiki.php?page=TestDrive
> ARM gcc:         http://www.dsitri.de/wiki.php?page=Zaurus-X-gcc
>
> We would really appreciate feedbacks. A dedicated discussion forum can
> be found at http://www.dsitri.de/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=9
>
> hns

Dr.Nikolaus Schaller
  hns@computer.org