Re: database trouble

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: database trouble
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:26:03 +0100 (BST)

> Hi friendly folks,
>
> I like GNUstep, and so I'm trying to convince people to use it
> (mostly Java & .NET developers). My problem is that GS-Base &
> GS-Gui are not really convincing arguments to switch from
> Java or .NET. What most folks are missing is:
>
> - database abstraction ala JDBC[1]

Well, I'm not sure it's missing -- it really depends what you mean by
'database abstraction'.

If you just want something like JDBC which lets you execute client SQL
code isolating you somewhat from the underlying database system, you can
try dev-libs/SQLClient.  It's basically a JDBC clone in ObjC; a very
simple solution which does the job of running SQL code very well though.
It has got postgres and mysql drivers, there is also an oracle driver but
it's slightly outdated.

If you want 'real' database abstraction, that is, you want to work on
objects and have the objects automatically reflecting / reflected in what
is in the database, then GNUstep has got toolkits for that -- you can try
GDL2 - also consider the database layer used by OGo.  They should be
working nicely, and should have drivers for quite a lot of databases.

Thanks