Re: Default colors vs. gamma

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Default colors vs. gamma
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:57:45 +0200

Adrian Robert wrote:
On 2004-10-12 18:37:21 -0500 Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote:
I was asked in #GNUstep to provide screenshots of this, so:

http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/gamma_colors.png
[snip]

The gamma 1.0 shot looks just like I remember the NeXT (OK, it has been a few years, but I'm pretty sure), yet I do not have any gamma calibration turned on in my X server, and using test images it seems like my setup has a gamma of about 2.

Just to be clear, you mean that the TextEdit instance on the right looks like NeXT, and the instance on the left is too bright?

> Is it possible that the GNUstep
system color settings were set by someone eyeballing things on a non-gamma-corrected system, instead of being numerically copied from a NeXT?

Well, I asked Matt Rice, and he compared OPENSTEP (no special settings) and GNUstep (on an uncalibrated display) side-by-side and concluded that GNUstep was clearly darker than OPENSTEP. Adjusting gamma on the GNUstep system to around 2.2 made them similar. He also confirmed that our colors have the same absolute values as the OPENSTEP colors.

This is consistent with circumstantial evidence on the web.

In any case, my "vote" is that whatever is done, it should be configurable from a GUI (the eventual Preferences app seems like a great place), even if it is a technical solution like gamma setting.
[snip]

OK, I can do that fairly easily (regardless of which approach we pick).

- Alexander Malmberg