Re: *Any* way to getting GNUstep on a G4 ???

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: *Any* way to getting GNUstep on a G4 ???
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:54:39 +0100

Le 28 oct. 04, à 01:06, M. Uli Kusterer a écrit :

In article <mailman.5310.1098807185.2017.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Fabien VALLON <fabien@sonappart.net> wrote:

I installed GNUstep under MacOSX last month and it works (without
sound, with back-xlib)

 You mean with Apple's GCC? Everybody told me that wouldn't work and
that I had to compile my own GCC, which is where everything failed last
time, I think. I got some weird errors

no, you need to compile your own gcc (perhaps the next apple's gcc will include the gnu runtime properly, but for the moment..)

I just follow the gcc & GNUstep HOWTO/FAQ

 Is there a new HOWTO or something?

the one in the makefiles docs, README.Darwin

What are your problem exactly ?

 NB - This was under Jaguar back then. Haven't tried it on Panther yet,
because I thought that installing a Linux would be an easier way ... the
best laid plans of mice and men...

hm, I remember that gnustep used to *not* work properly on previous OSX versions, and it started to work -- I think -- on Jaguar. If i'm wrong and if you can, just install Panther, as it definitely work on it ;-)

Else, what you can do, if you want to run linux on your G4, is perhaps to try this new distributino, Ubuntu, as it's seem quite nice, is based on debian, and is available for PPC... http://www.ppcnerds.org/Article207.html

Then, once linux is installed, just install gnustep (grab the tgz and follow the classical install way, or use cvs, or even try to see
if the gnustep deb packages are available..)

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke