Re: NSToolbar look/selecting items

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: NSToolbar look/selecting items
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 03:08:35 +0100

Le 31 oct. 04, à 17:18, Uli Kusterer a écrit :

Hi,

Hi Uli,

just played with NSToolbar for the first time. Felt like back home in
MacOS X ;-)

 I always kind of preferred the "OpenStep Toolbar look". E.g. like
GNUMail.app's "Preferences" window has it. Basically, it's simply a
scrolling NSMatrix of pushbuttons there, but I understand that such a
look doesn't go too well with custom views (like the popup menu in
ToolbarExample.app, which would then be a popup button on top of a
pushbutton then), so I can understand why it looks like Apple's design
now.

 However, what I think is kind of awkward is the "chevron" with its
popup menu that is shown when there's not enough room to show some
items. Wouldn't a scrollbar be more user-friendly here?

May be I should say first that I'm the guy who has implemented most of the NSToolbar support… Personally I dislike the scrollbar idea, because if you have lot of toolbar items in the toolbar, it becomes a nightmare to remember what is in the toolbar and especially where, and the scrollbar makes the toolbar items possibly moving targets. With the "chevron" you can have a global view of any toolbar items used and the toolbar items are fixed, but I agree it is not the perfect solution because the toolbar items flow vertically in the menu and horizontally in the toolbar, and that's somewhat not logical. I plan in the future to implement a toolbar which extends to the border of the screen when you click in the "chevron" to reveal all the toolbar items, a bit like a Mac OS X sheet. Moreover I think we should avoid whenever it is possible to have toolbars totally filled. Last point, the toolbar cannot be customised actually, it is still something which needs to be implemented when I will have the time to do.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr