Ann: Cynthiune 0.9.4

From: Wolfgang Sourdeau
Subject: Ann: Cynthiune 0.9.4
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:28:23 -0500

Hi all,

This is to let you know that Cynthiune 0.9.4 was just released.
This release is a recommended upgrade since it fixes and polishes a lot
of aspects that got neglected in previous releases.

What is Cynthiune?
------------------
Cynthiune is a free software and romantic music player for GNUstep and
MacOSX. I wrote it originally as a christmas gift to a girl that I liked
because she could not listen to the music on her Mac with a free program.

It is very similar in use to XMMS and Winamp, although it is currrently
less complete. A plugin architecture is being designed.
For the moment, input and output bundles can easily be written and
Cynthiune is already quite usable for playing Ogg's, MP3's, Mod's an
plenty of other formats to an OSS device or an Esound socket.

Changes
-------
This release is a recommended update:
- made the Services menu and mechanism work again;
- made the DnD of song filenames work properly on MacOSX, by complying
  with Apple's documentation;
- added the ability to send a bug report from the Info menu;
- activated the application menu;
- fixed a bug that was recording the wrong date and size informations
  for songs in the stored playlist, reducing the speedup brought by the use
  of an NSKeyedArchive;
- fixed a bug that was preventing the player to skip invalid songs;
- fixed a bug that was requesting the player to start playing when the
  column headers were double-clicked on GNUstep;
- fixed a bug in the Esound bundle that was preventing the socket to be
  reinitialized with the correct song rate and channels informations;
- add a "Cleanup" entry in the "Remove" dropdown menu that performs the
  removal of all the songs that either were not recognized with their format
  or are missing in the filesystem.
- fixed a bug that was preventing the OSS output bundle to start correctly
  when no dsp device was set in the preferences.

Downloads
---------
The current version (0.9.4) can be downloaded from
http://organact.mine.nu/~wolfgang/cynthiune/Cynthiune-0.9.4.tar.gz

MacOS X binary:
http://organact.mine.nu/~wolfgang/cynthiune/Cynthiune%200.9.4.dmg

Screenshots:
http://organact.mine.nu/~wolfgang/cynthiune/screenshots/

Requirements
------------
The extra libraries needed for Cynthiune are:

mp3 support:
- libid3tag and libmad 0.15.0b
  (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12349)
ogg support:
- libvorbis 1.0.1 and libogg 1.1.0
  (http://www.vorbis.com/download_unix_1.0.1.psp)
mod, xm and all the possible tracker formats out there:
- libmodplug 2.04 (http://modplug-xmms.sourceforge.net)
wav, au and many uncompressed sound formats:
- libaudiofile (http://www.68k.org/~michael/audiofile/)
flac support:
- libflac (http://flac.sourceforge.net/)
esound output support:
- libesd (http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/download.html)

Cynthiune is my first GNUstep project and my coding style has changed
over the year during which I wrote it. Therefore, if you have any code,
ideas, translations, comments or useful criticism, feel at ease to submit
them to me!

Happy thiuning!

Wolfgang
--
"An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." (Ghandi)