Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:27:42 +0200

On 2004-11-19 20:11:37 +0200 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

> Le 19 nov. 04, à 15:44, Enrico Sersale a écrit :
>
>> I want to reply to this point because it seems that many people don't like
>> the actual solution.
>>
>> There are (and there will be) two main applications, GWorkspace and Desktop.
>>
>> In the future, Desktop will be integrated in the window manager and this
>> means that it will use X stuff directly, not allowing anymore any kind of
>> unification with GW.
>>
>> Last week I've made some experiments with WindowMaker and I've got it to
>> work as a GNUstep application (the X events are intercepted by the run loop
>> of the app and then passed to the Window Maker function); after this I've
>> tried to add to WMaker.app part of the sources of Desktop and I've got the
>> Desktop window and the Dock (my dock) on all the WindowMaker workspaces.
>> So, I think that this is the right way to go (using WindowManager or
>> something else).
>>
>> In this perspective, the existence of all the helper apps is easy
>> understandable:
>>
>> both the apps needs file operations.
>> both the apps needs an Inspector.
>> both the apps needs a Finder and will use its File Annotations and Live
>> Search Folders.
>> both the apps use fswatcher, thumbnailer, etc...
>
> Yes, but why having multiple graphical applications ?
> Wouldn't it be better to use frameworks for that ? and optionally some
> servers (tools) if you really want for things like copy operations ?

Not sure if I understand correctly or I'm missing something...
But let we take Inspector as example: its window is *the place* where the
information is shown. And it must be only one place where this happens, that
is, a common window for all the applications. How can I get this with a
framework? I'd have an inspector for each app...