Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:48:48 +0000

Le 19 nov. 04, à 18:27, Enrico Sersale a écrit :

both the apps needs file operations.
both the apps needs an Inspector.
both the apps needs a Finder and will use its File Annotations and Live
Search Folders.
both the apps use fswatcher, thumbnailer, etc...

Yes, but why having multiple graphical applications ?
Wouldn't it be better to use frameworks for that ? and optionally some
servers (tools) if you really want for things like copy operations ?

Not sure if I understand correctly or I'm missing something...
But let we take Inspector as example: its window is *the place* where the information is shown. And it must be only one place where this happens, that is, a common window for all the applications. How can I get this with a framework? I'd have an inspector for each app...

hm, ok, I understand more why you split out the Inspector now. I still disagree, but at least it make sense. I find this separation quite odd, as "Operations" and "Inspector" aren't applications by themselves (why having a tile for them for example..) and I think there were other possibilites (put operations/inspector in workspace and have the desktop requesting things using DO for example.. and/or have operations/inspector in framework for more clarity perhaps...). If "Desktop" and "Workspace" depends so much on common things, it's perhaps an indice that they belong in the same place: I'm not sure why the "desktop" needs to be separated to the "workspace" anyway, as you can just flag the desktop window as omnipresent on all (virtual) desktops -- that's how nautilus works for example.

Of course I'm really not a friend of a "desktop" place, I think it's not a really good thing, but hey ;-) I know that lots of people disagree.

So, well, I'm not really convainced by this separation, but I'm not the one who code and I understand now why you did it that way. Thanks a lot for the explanation.

If you keep things that way though, it would probably be nice to quit Inspector.app and Operations.app when the desktop and the workspace are gone; and perhaps remove their tile possibly as well as their menu (but well, then it will also trigger some problems... yuck).

Another nice addition would be to have the inspector *resizible* -- particularly when used in "view content" mode.

thanks,

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke