Re: RFC: Removal of Gorm's outline view class editor

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: RFC: Removal of Gorm's outline view class editor
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:22:19 +0100

Le 5 déc. 04, à 21:14, Gregory John Casamento a écrit :

All,

As just about anyone who's used Gorm knows, the outline view can be used to edit classes. This is a feature which was present in IB on OPENSTEP and NeXTSTEP, so it was felt as though this would help people make the transition
from those systems to GNUstep.

Gorm also has a class inspector, which is more in-line with the OPENSTEP "inspector" paradigm. It is complete and it allows you to edit any aspect of
the class, just as the outline view editor does.

This has been suggested a number of times before by different people both on
the list and in #gnustep, but I haven't had time to take it out.   The
intention is to simply have a regular outline view or a browser which would allow the user to look at the classes and use the class inspector to edit the
outlets and actions of the class.

There are advantages to doing this:

1) It's more in-line with the OPENSTEP paradigm
2) It simplifies the code in Gorm

For me it is ok, I never handle the outlet and actions directly with the outline view. What I would like to see is the possibility to do a search in the outline view content in the same way it is possible to do within the class inspector.

Disadvantages:

1) People who've gotten used to the convenience of using the classes view editor will have to switch to the outline view (this is the other major reason
why I haven't done this).

Here I don't understand what you mean because it seems to be the exact opposite of what you have just explained above. … Well in fact, I think you want to remove the parent class choice in the class inspector (aka class view editor, right ?), hmm I think it is not really good idea because it would remove the feature we have currently which permits to reset the parent class of our custom class directly in Gorm unlike InterfaceBuilder. Moreover what would be great is to have Gorm synchronizing not only the outlets and the actions with the related class files (header and implementation) but also the parent class we set (in the inspector).

Thanks for the RFC,
Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé