Re: Offtopc appearl for disktab help

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Offtopc appearl for disktab help
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:04:01 -0800

Pete French wrote:
I dont suppose any of you old OpenStep type people know
anything about writing disktab entries do you ? I have installed
OS onto an IDE drive onto a 2000M fdisk partition at the start. I;ve since
epxnaded that to 8000M, and now I want to write a disktab to let me
get at the other 6000M as partitions b, c and d.

I mnow I write a diskatb to do it, and that I should then somehow
write this new distab to the driev using /usr/etc/disk - but the
manpage for 'disk' is rather unclear, and if I get it wrong I can
trash the entire drive. All the example disktab entires I have
found are for SCSI drives.

Any advice at all ?

I wrote one when I installed an 18GB Seagate Barracuda HD in my tricked out 128MB Turbo Color NeXTstation about six or eight months ago...I can try to dig up what I have and send it to you...the way I learned how to make a disktab for my disk was by searching google, and I managed to find a (very old, but still 100% useful) document that went over making disktabs. I don't have a link or bookmark for it, but I suggest you search around for it.