Install shell script for GNUstep

From: Uli Kusterer
Subject: Install shell script for GNUstep
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:00:34 +0100

Hi,

 Back when I was struggling trying to get GNUstep to install on my Mac,
I also worked on writing a shell script that performs all the steps
indicated in my guide. I wanted to make it more robust and fix some of
the oddities I occasionally encountered, but sadly I didn't have the
time.

 Since it doesn't look like I'll be having much more time to work on
this (more interesting and/or paying projects beckon), I thought I'll
release what's there. I'm releasing this in the Public Domain. It's at:

   http://www.zathras.de/gnustep_install.zip

Basically, it's modeled after the GNUDarwin install script: It asks a
few questions at startup about the general configuration, then tries to
download needed components, and then tries to do all the things needed
to install GNUstep, like compiling a GCC from source, and then all of
GNUstep.

The version for MacOS X should work, except for some not reliably
reproducible issues I had compiling PC/Gorm. There's also a version for
Darwin, with which I had more problems as it didn't recognize my WLAN
card, and I couldn't find a package manager offhand.

It's very modular, and comes with a readme for people who want to adapt
it to other platforms.

I hope it's of use to someone. If this script was used as the starting
point for getting GNUstep on other platforms, it would significantly
lower the entry barrier for new developers coming to the project.

-- Uli Kusterer
http://www.zathras.de