Re: Survey: Projectcenter

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Survey: Projectcenter
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:23:59 +0000

Le 3 janv. 05, à 09:45, Dirk Olmes a écrit :

I think that PC, instead of having the most powerful editor in the world,
it should focus rather on aiding development. Note the the difference
between aiding the editing process and aiding the development process.

For example: http://ide.roard.com/wakka.php?wiki=Main

The development environment should be on higher level than on the level of
editing source files. Those days are over.

Well, basically not. Since voice recognition is not up to par yet, there's
no other way than maually hacking sources into the editor. If that's a
whole class or just a single method doesn't matter: editing facilities are
crucial for an IDE (at least for me).

Well, I think that what Stefan wanted to say, is that you don't really need something like vim or emacs if you work on a higher level -- you'll only need a rather small subset of their possibilities, mostly command to move quickly and duplicating code -- something that's more or less already done in the default text editor in gnustep (ie going to the end
of the line, etc.)

Basically, if you have a good IDE working on a higher level, you don't need something as fancy as vim -- but having a vim component would be nice nonetheless, just not crucial.

ie, if you have something like a Smalltalk ide, you can bear the not-so-good text editing, because it's not that important anymore. But of course if you have a good text component,
it's just a plus.

Editor should be as simple as
possible, no fancy features, just plain text editing with small code
formating
aids. What should be powerful in a modern ide are code modelling tools,
analysis and refactoring features, meta-data features or many others.

Yes, very well spoken.

Of course I quite agree here :-)

"Advanced" features of an editor in a IDE?
- syntax higlighting
- indentation
- completion (optional)
- find & replace

Optionally, the edited code should be no longer than a single method.

Why? Because one should focus on the real problem of the application, not
on the development process or on the source files.

As a poor soul who has to do Java hacking for living I use Eclipse as the
primary IDE. Its development aids are by far more than what I've seen
before - except for Smalltalk browsers, of course.

I even use Eclipse's CDT for GNUstep programming, although almost none of
the language-supporting features (syntax highlighting, completion etc)
work for ObjC source.

I guess it should't be too much work to implement most of the features
described in http://ide.roard.com/ using the Eclipse platform. The only
(possible major) disadvantage would be that Eclipse itself is implemented
in Java.

Well, using Eclipse is a possibility, I agree. Personally I think implementing something like ide.roard.com (at least the basis) wouldn't be very complex to do with GNUstep (eh, after all, isn't fast development the whole point of GNUstep ?), plus I'm not really fond of Java :-) -- but if somebody wants to use Eclipse, that would be a good thing
anyway... (better than nothing)

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke