Re: non recursive makefiles

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: non recursive makefiles
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:31:44 +0100

On 10.01.2005, at 13:38, Nicola Pero wrote:
That is correct. The way gnustep-make works is not easily changed unless we rewrite everything. There are some deeply complicated issues in what
gnustep-make is supposed to do that 'force' the current design and
solutions. It can't really be changed unless we drop make (or maybe use
new GNU make extensions not available on old platforms).

Sorry for stepping in so late, but what exactly are these extensions? You're currently preprocessing gstep-make prior to installing it, so depending on the used gmake version these extensions could be used conditionally (by preprocessing gstep-make upon installation). The result would be a parallizable gstep-make on recent versions of gmake and a still working version for older versions of gmake - granted, my assumption is correct and the extensions do the trick without further rewrites being necessary.

IMHO precompiled headers support is much more important as the compilation speed-up is enormous (day to day experience on Mac OS X using Xcode).

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com