Re: non recursive makefiles

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: non recursive makefiles
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:34:16 +0100

On 11.01.2005, at 17:28, Matt Rice wrote:

--- Marcus Müller <znek@mulle-kybernetik.com> wrote:

IMHO precompiled headers support is much more
important as the
compilation speed-up is enormous (day to day
experience on Mac OS X
using Xcode).

i have some patches somewhere for pch support for
gnustep-make iirc it didn't help much saved 2 minutes
on a 45 minute compile i can dig these up if you'd
like
already sent them to Nicola a while back.

Uh, well. I measured the same and _thought_ I've gotten something totally wrong. Might be that it's just not speeding up certain versions of gcc then? Or, the other way round, did you try it on OS X with Apple's gcc to exclude that possibility?

Basically I'd think that supporting precompiled headers is really just a matter of adding a prefix header variable and precompile the header in that variable before starting the real build process. I might be off here, but I guess that's really all there is to do.

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com