Re: non recursive makefiles

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: non recursive makefiles
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:09:00 +0100

On Jan 12, 2005, at 16:47, Nicola Pero wrote:
For me, GCC and autogsdoc are the performance killers
during compilation, make is fast enough even on a large tree.  I can't
turn off GCC :-)

I don't think that recursion was "attacked" because it is too slow but because it prohibits -j 2. And the latter will roughly double the performance of your GCC and autogsdoc on a two CPU system, which is very common (since this can be distributed very well on two (or more!) processors).

Recently I joined some KDE developer meetings and they are using the -j X feature aggressively. The have a build distributor called "Icecream" which manages build tasks on tens to hundreds of machines. Useful KDE development is basically impossible without the -j X option (and several compilation slave machines) since g++ is even slower than cc1obj.

Personally I have no immediate need for -j X, compilation with gstep-make is "fast enough" for me. The compilation time is more an issue on my MacOSX machines (which provide the -j feature ;-), the cheapest Linux/ix86 machines with gstep-make are almost as fast as the most expensive Macs with Xcode/pbxbuild.

Having said all that I'm 100% with Nicola, usability of the GNUstep makefiles is GREAT. It should not be broken to gain some compilation speed.

Personally I would be interested how long a straight forward port of Ant to ObjC would take (just rewrite the Java classes into Objective-C). Nicola is right that inventing a new build system is a lot of work, but Ant is supposed to have a pretty good engine and modelling. The only "issue" is that it uses XML as the build description which can be awkward (but also can be fixed by using a different frontend).

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/