Re: GWorkspace odd behaviour

From: Andreas Schik
Subject: Re: GWorkspace odd behaviour
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:50:21 +0100

On 2005-02-03 10:08:31 +0100 Robin Rawson-Tetley <robin@rawsontetley.org> wrote:

[snip]

I take it that apps need registering with GWorkspace then? I have just
about every GNUstep app I could find installed, and I also have the
appwrappers installed too.

If I navigate to $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Applications then I see them there
ok and double-clicking on them opens them correctly in GWorkspace.

Be aware that GWorkspace does not handle any file type "out-of-the-box", but merely starts the application that registered for a file type and displays the icon registered by this app.

Ahh - so the problem must be that no file type handlers are actually
registered in GWorkspace? Any idea how I do this? I've looked through

In a shell type make_services and then start GWorkspace. If this helps the make_services command needs to be put into one of the startup scripts. make_services registers the apps in {Local,System}/Applications with the GNUstep servers, AFAIK. Don't ask me with which one, though :-)

[snip]

I think the desktop.app problems are related to the same thing (it's
tied heavily into GWorkspace, right?).
If it is actually the make_services that it missing, I'd guess so, too, yes. GWorkspace then won't be able to find its own background services as well.

Andreas

--
Mail: aheppel at web dot de
Home: http://www.andreasheppel.de

Check out Burn.app - the CD burning frontend for GNUstep
http://gsburn.sourceforge.net