Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:37:56 -0800

Patrik Weiskircher wrote:

Also, apart from icons, is there a direction for the default GUI
interface? I saw some of the theming that will be/is available through
Camaelon -- has there been a clear consensus on keeping certain
NEXTSTEP
elements or moving to a more Mac look (ie: horizontal menubar versus
vertical floating bar, scrollbar on left/right)? Any feedback on that
would be helpful for redesiging the default GUI.

This comes up from time to time on the list.  There are equally many
usability and aesthetic points that could be cited in favor of either
interface, Aqua or "Step".  Since Aqua is already being handled nicely
by Apple, it's probably best to make GNUstep's default the
alternative, instead of an imitation that will always pale compared to
the original.  (In some ways it actually feels good to move from a KDE
to a Windows machine, for example..)  Likewise for aping Gnome.  The
development and continuing popularity of window managers such as
WindowMaker and Afterstep suggests there is a user population that
likes the Step theme.

First, let me tell you that I'm a very new GNUStep user, but I really
like it so far.
The only thing which bothers me is its rather dated look.
I'm just looking at the screenshot from Nicolas Roard with the new
icons, and I
have to admit that it looks pretty good.
But I still don't like the look of some of the widgets.

<pedant> They're controls, not widgets </pedant>

Are there any plans to change them?

Well, all of Nicolas' themes are not set in stone, and you can make your own theme which draws whatever kind of /control/ you want.

Or, a better question, do you want them changed?

Some do, some don't. I think some of the default ones could definately be improved upon a bit without breaking the NeXT feel too much.

I'm not sure what I should make of all the comments written on
GNUStep.org.

Which specific page?

It sounds more like you want to keep the look of the widgets as they
are.

As I said, some do, some don't. Camaelon makes this all moot, however.

Cheers,
Alex Perez