Re: Live CD and others general GNUstep remarks

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Live CD and others general GNUstep remarks
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 01:24:43 +0100

There was also the problem that some apps had their windows "outside" the screen. Actually, at the moment the windows' positions are encoded in the gorm files... and imho that's a bit wrong ! with wmaker it's not that much of a problem, because you can move the windows with alt-clicking... but that's only true if you know that trick :-) Frankly, the windows' position shouldn't be encoded in Gorm; it's just wrong.

This sounds like it needs to be changed. Perhaps we could use similar code as is applied for default settings (see below). We would need to archive the screen rectangle along with the window frame. Gregory, as window encoding is very much Gorm related, I would like to get your opinion on this first.

Another related problem (not specific to the live cd) is that apps save their windows position in the defaults database -- that's good, but there's a slight problem: If the user change resolution to a lower one... One solution, perhaps, would be to associate the positions with the actual resolution -- so you'd save the positions
for each resolution...

No, this should not cause any problem, the code already adopts the window position to the screen size, just as you did suggest (setFrameFromString:). It does not try to change the size of the window, though.

Fred