Look and Feel

From: Raphael Bosshard
Subject: Look and Feel
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:29:00 +0100

There seems to be a lot of traffic lately about a new icon theme and IconKit.

First of all; I would welcome a new icon theme, as I would a new default look. I like the OpenStep-Framework and enjoy programming in Objectiv-C. But it just makes no fun if your applications look like time-warped from the 80ies.

However; what I really would like to see is the ability to use already existing icon themes, GNOME icon themes, KDE, whatever. A lot of work could be saved this way and especially GNOME has some fine icon themes.

What I also would like to see is some further development in the OS X direction. OS X is currently considered the most advanced user interface. It would be no shame to learn from OS X and imitate where appropriate. The top-screen menubar is one thing but there are other issues.

I don't suggest that GNUStep should try to become Aqua on Linux. GNUStep has a personality. But similary to humans, user interfaces can evolve, without loosing that personality.

Have fun,
Raphael