Re: Look and Feel

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:02:11 +0700

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:03:50 -0500, Randi Joseph <randi@codehalo.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I think that it is very important that certain aspects of the
> interface be customizable. In particular, a static/floating menubar
> option and left/right. Lets face it, left scrollbars might be
> intuitive to old NeXT users, but it is absolutely foreign to 99% of
> the world. It seems sensible to some degree for left-handed users, but
> flat out disconcerting for right-handed people.

How about text selection? I hope I can easily select text from left to
right, putting the scroll on right doesn't sound intuitive at all since
I have to scroll to the header of the interested paragraph and drag
the mouse a long way left, then start marking the text.
Though I think it is fine to have an option to put the scrollbar
on the right side. Thus, I never know left scroll bars have much
to do with left-handed or right-handed users. Most people write
left to right.

> Themeability is not enough.

Since themability in GNUstep relies on runtime loadable module,
it then can also alter widget's behavior. It should be possible
to change the side of scrollbar using a theme as it can change
the style of menu to Apple's top edge style. So I don't think
this issue should be an emphasis in the sense of lacking of
possibility in the development.

> It will be easier to sell (GNUSTEP/Objective-C) to developers if some
> of apple's well thought out interface ideas are adopted.

I agree at this point. Though I don't think all Apple's interfaces are really
well thought out. Some of them are, I like how they use the top
edge of the screen although they aren't good with trackpad. Some
aren't, like the use of corners to launch expose or screen savers
without clicking. Corners can too easily trap mouse movements and
so the ui shouldn't decide if it should do anything without any clicking
information. The apple menu almost did it if it invoke the app menu
and if it actually use the top-left pixel. For the dock, it's terrible. Things
keep changing their positions all the time. The drawer, I don't see much
benefit over panel although I kinda like it for its cuteness.