Re: Look and Feel

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:19:03 -0600

The Mac interface was designed first.
No, the interface was designed by XEROX Parc and was in fact more or less overtly stolen by Apple. This is a clear fact, as the historical record indicates, and not my opinion.

Yeah -- I know about XEROX. I wasn't sure if they had a top menu or not, though, so I didn't want to make that statement.

AFAIK, the decision to put the scrollbar on the left was a pure usability decision, Jesse. There have been several reasons cited: The fact that the scrollbar on the left is closer to the Application menu, and the fact that the scrollbar on the left is closer to the majority of text in Left-to-Right western writing systems.

I don't disagree. I think the left scroll bar is more usable as well. I was simply stating that there are two conflicts: what users are accustomed to, and what is more usable. I also wanted to point out that there is no "best interface" or a certain interface to look to as the model of usability, because in many cases we don't know what the motivations for a certain interface decision was.

I am frankly comfortable with both scrollbars, and with the advent of wheel mice, I rarely use scrollbars anyways.

Me too.

However, if GNUstep were to provide a top menu bar as the _default_ (it can be an option all we want), it may get into the habit of copying a lot of other Mac-isms and then become little more than a Mac clone.

Research has also shown that it's not so good for extremely high-resoluion monitors. It's best for 800x600 and 1024x768, but IMHO is not for stuff ~1152x864 and over.

I haven't seen the research, but I believe you. The usability research I've read has stated that menus at the top and bottom edges of the screen are easier to hit than elements at specific locations within the body of the screen area. Also, the top menu bar stays static, which improves intuitive gestures towards that area -- palette windows do not have permanence of location, but are more functional if the user has built a familiarity with the environment and customized it to their workflow.

The palette menu is one of GNUstep's strongest identifying marks. Do we go with the usable option, or the distinctive option?

The problem here is that you're making a big jump in claiming that one is more usable than the other. I like horizontal menus, and I was one of the people who convinced Michael to write/renew WildMenus, but I don't use them myself. You also may not realize that one of the very useful things about GNUstep menus is that the submenus are detachable, which many, many, many people find quite useful. I suggest you explore our UI paradigms before you presume to know what's best. A little bit of open-mindedness goes a long way.

Sorry -- maybe my email came off more harsh than it was meant to be. Mostly I wanted to end the debates back and forth and just find a way to compromise or reach some agreement on the direction to go.

There are a lot of people on both sides of the argument, and I wanted to try to bridge that gap by saying "You guys think the Mac menu is more usable, and maybe it is, and you guys think the NeXT menu is more powerful and distinctive, and maybe it is, but let's just find a way to make a decision and move forward." I really do NOT intend to be the "pushy designer guy who thinks he knows everything" -- I don't know everything, I'm not a NeXT expert, and I have no right telling you how your interface should be -- you all have put a lot more time and effort into this project than I have. I want to offer suggestions and help, so if I'm stepping on toes, just let me know and I'll back off and just make some icons :)

I didn't join to project to attack it or the hard work that everyone has put into it -- I want to make the interface better, that's all. I like the palette windows, I LOVE tear off menus. I think they're a brilliant idea and work great. Granted, I did make it sound like there was a great distance between the Mac-style menu and the NeXT-style one -- I don't think it's that drastic. I'm sorry if my emails make me sound like an ass. I'm really not. I'm a designer who knows a lot about how to make things more attractive, and usually how to make things more organized and usable too.

There will always be two camps here on this issue -- but we have to somehow reach a decision on what the default option is and all stand behind it and push it like it's the best interface ever.

There's no one "best interface", as someone (I think Nicolas) previously stated.

I think I said that, but Nicolas might have said it too. Whatever decision we make, we need to push it _like_ it's the best interface ever (even if "best" is totally subjective). We need to sell it to other developers and users, because that's how we get more mindshare and we find out how to make things even better. By showing people how great it is, we help the project live and grow. That was what I was trying to get across (it was supposed to be a rallying cry :)

J.