Re: harsh and constructive comments on UI

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: harsh and constructive comments on UI
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:24:26 -0600 (CST)

> I like the design of:
> http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/ui/concepts/01/ui.png

Thanks!

I don't think any of your comments were harsh -- many others feel exactly
the same way and do not want to see the theme changed. I don't blame
anyone for having a fondness for the current theme (I'm the same way with
the classic Mac Platinum look -- it's what I grew up on). I just think
that there are many users who probably don't look past GNUstep's
appearance and then write it all off as outdated. This is really
unfortunate, since it's a very powerful toolkit and provides great user
interface components.

I would like to see GNUstep get some more mindshare and marketshare, and
improving the first appearance people have of GNUstep is one way that that
can be done, and one place where I can help using the skills I have.

> PS: I know that after all these good words my two GNUstep applications
> don't have a bad icon: they have none at all. I never came up with
> something satisfactory. Although I can do some design work, it is a long
>  work and I often trash the results. I might speak with jess about this
> and other should do it too maybe.

Let me know what your apps are and I'll add them to my list -- make sure
you tell me what the apps do, if you have a site where I can see
screenshots, and if you have any ideas already for what you'd like the
icons to be. I'm still available if anyone else wants to take me up on
this offer :) On average I'll have preliminary designs to you in a week
and a half.

J.