Re: Look and Feel

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:43:31 +0100

On 2005-02-14 13:43:55 +0000 Jesse Ross <jesse@jesseross.com> wrote:

[...]
>> I'm saying this because I'm begining to fear that the idea is to make
>> GNUstep look like GNOME/KDE/WIndows/MacOSX. I've already seen what not
>> having the guts to innovate gives to desktops, one ends up using
>> Windows,but with another name, badly named apps and an anime background.
>>

> I hope that my screenshot doesn't make people think too much of the Mac
> interface. There are some similarities, but I would prefer the interface
> feel simply "modern", and if compared against WinXP and OS X, would feel
> like it was designed in a similar era, using similar design principles.

Just answering to reassure you that I wasn't talking about your mockup. As I
said clearly in previous mails I think that your mockup looks stunning. While
there is certainly room for improvement (not graphicaly, but concept wise) in
troublesome areas like the dock, what you made with the menu, for example, and
the overall look (the double scrollbars idea was also a nice touch) is in line
with what I call keeping the basis of the NeXT concepts while updating the
looks to something that isn't absolutley better (because there isn't such a
thing) but follows the more recent trends in UI graphism. Do understand that
the different ideas and opinions that you hear are not in any way directed to
you or a sign of bad faith. As you have noticed this is a topic that means a
lot to many people, so the debate will always be lively :). Your sense of
aesthetics and graphical competence is a very valuable contribution at this
time.

BTW, I would have prefered the scrollbars on the left :)

Cheers,

fsmunoz
--
Frederico Muñoz