Status of Installer.app?

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Status of Installer.app?
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:48:46 -0500

Hi,

I was thinking of hacking up a simple barebones installer application for GNUstep that just copies a .app somewhere and optionally runs pre- and post-install scripts. Then I noticed http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gap/ . Excellent! Does anyone know the latest status of Installer in the CVS tree there? How much work does it need (for barebones functionality, not bells and whistles)?

Alternatively, is anyone else working on a .app and/or framework installation app?

Main necessities would seem to be:

- graphical operation from workspace
- UI to get root permissions
- pre/post install scripts

Eventual desirables would be:

- progress display (preferably not bogus, though the bar is low here)
- ability to sequence multiple steps
- source-based build-install capability (to accomodate Windows and varying unix installations)