Re: Package releases at homepage

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Package releases at homepage
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:30:23 -0000

Adrian Robert <arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>  [...] The INSTALL
> file suggests installing things individually, but this is
> probably not so relevant except for developers, and they
> will presumably be using CVS checkout anyway.

Actually, releases of the different parts can happen at different
times (like base 1.10.1) so I think it's worth having the four installed
individually if you can. I really would like to see developers moving
away from CVS checkouts unless they're developing GNUstep itself: apps
should build against released GNUstep versions, to make life easier for
users.

Bundling dev-apps with core seems a little inconsiderate to
non-developers and the opposite of what distributors usually do,
splitting into libfoo and libfoo-dev packages.

> The other question is whether a similar "user apps" bundle
> should be made..

Not unless someone is willing to assemble it, IMO.