A stupid package script to feed an installer

From: comrade
Subject: A stupid package script to feed an installer
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 05:56:23 +1100

Hi

I was thinking about the whole binary distribution thing for GNUstep
packages, and did a bit of research into Openstep and Cocoa packages.

I've hacked together a half-working packager based on information from
an Openstep manpage online and a description on another. It's attached
to this mail. More than 40% of the script contains comments (moans) on
what I've found out about this (fairly limited) package format. On the
other hand it's simple and it works.

I'm putting it forward - even though it uses pax right now(!) and
requires at least a small edit to work on anything other than NetBSD -
to get some progress on the binary package front. We need gui and
command-line installers and updaters to make it easy to get into GNUstep
for new developers and end-users.

Please fix problems with this little script, generate packages,
create installers, discuss metadata enhancements and what to do about the
big missing component, the .bom (bill of materials) binary format,
undocumented by NeXT and Apple. Is it time to agree on .gnubom?

Peter