Re: backart - default backend?

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: backart - default backend?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:01:19 +0100

Hey,

Are dependencies really an issue? Most users blindly do a apt-get install gnustep or emerge gnustep and wouldn't care nor notice the extra dependencies.
stupid users exists.

For sake of brevity, I will just say that the ldd output is 51 lines long. Now, a quick and dirty guesstimate on how many dependencies GNUstep has:

I always said gnome is trash. We shouldn't follow their example. Also, possibly there too everything started harmlessy "let's add oango" "let's divide it and make glib and gtk" etc etc etc...

That's with -art. The major extra dependency that is required going from -xlib to -art is libart2, but that is already installed on a lot of people's computers due to GNOME and is not near as much of a pain to install as KDE's qt3.

I am not so stupid to have installed either.

On the computer I have debian, I have no choice only -art is provided. This in fact is "good" so I can have a look at how it is from time to time.

-xlib is ready to meet its end. It has its purposes - places where you really can't afford the extra dependencies (advanced users can very easily use ./configure to change it). Other than that, -xlib just looks bad and -art is just a much more capable backend. Why not have the users using the same thing that all the developers are using already?

xlib looks bad? to me it looks perfectly. I can make you a standard screenshot and it is perfect. Of course it has bugs and I'd rather seen them squashed than xlib trashed. Xlib is fast and works well for my use. I has bugs with the font panel etc, but -art essentially has "no" fonts, so...

Hopefully we can come to some conclusion one way or another (whether it be a poll amongst developers, or what-not). I am really hoping this isn't going to turn into the 200 message flame-wars that results in nothing but confusion as to what actually resulted from the flame war. (We have far too many of those). Once and for all lets just end this question since I have seen it come up far too often.

too many? this list is a nightmare lately, high-traffic with super-long threads.

And sometimes I come with really harsh feelings against some persons here (to make a name: A. Perez) who aren't just grown enough to post here. The quantity of messages didn't result in new applications for gnustep :) I wonder if all the time that was spent through dicussion/reading/replying to this list was spent in coding... we might have at least a new office clone and a new image manipulation program. Bet on it. And our livers would be healthier.

-R