Re: backart - default backend?

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: backart - default backend?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:38:21 +0000

> What I really ask is, what does art gives me? Let's revert the
> question :)
> I don't care for aa... and I know that it handles some image compositing
> stuff better than xlib.

For me it's pictures and text that it does a lot better. The app I
have been in the process of porting over a long time uses a lot of
post-script based drawing into windows, including text, and this all
works a lot nicer under art.

I also find the fonts a lot easier than with X - if I need a font I just
drop it into the fonts directory and there it is. Just like it was under
NextStep. I can take any old ont off the web, wrap it as an nfont and
use it. I still can work out how fonts under X11 are supposed to work so
this is a big win for me. Especially as I need multi-lingual fonts
and I still ahvent persuaded X to do that.

but if you don;t have any need for ewither of those then Xlib has no
significant disadvantages. But I cant think of anything which Xlib does
better than art.

-bat.