Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:43:42 +0100

At 10:50 Uhr +0100 18.02.2005, Riccardo wrote:
I like its compactness and find tabs one of the "biggest" controls in aqua.

Are you talking about the old or the new tabs in Aqua? Because the new ones are about the size of GNUstep's right now. Of course, they don't look like tabs at all anymore, which is my main gripe these days.

on the other hand, it is almost impossible to accomodate 800x600 screens like my ibook, to 1152 or 1280 screens and more with one size. I wouldn't "bother" at the current state of gnustep.

Well, if the cut-off stuff is resolved, and with a PrefPane that allows specifying some brighter colors, I guess I could live with it. I'd have to see how the cut-off stuff's been fixed, I guess. I guess we disagree on this point: At least in the case of tabs, I would call the compactness crammedness. But then I have a 1024x768 screen, and that may just be the point at which the advantage in readability exceeds the disadvantage in unavailable screen real estate. Or maybe we just have different preferences...

I think "resizeable" widgets should come one day. But I have nevr seen an OS do it right. MacOS is one extreme: all controls, menu bars are of a fixed size. WIndows on the other hand makes several think resizeable. But the effect IMHO is sooooo bad that I would ignore the issue right now.

Agreed. I've yet to see a resizable implementation that works. Renaissance is a nice attempt, but it'll still not look as aesthetically sound as a GUI hand-nudged by someone who knows his whitespace. But it's much too early for GNUstep to worry about stuff like that. Renaissance is a great foundation to build on once we have more apps. And who knows, we may come up with some layout algorithms that make everything look prettier.

InterfaceBuilder here gives many hooks and places controls of the correct size and eases the spacing among them. Gorm is nto so advanced here. For example when moving more than one control or resizing a window, I get no guidelines, so it often happens to compact controls and borders too much...

I'm actually talking less about Gorm doing that. ResEdit in MacOS 9 didn't have *any* guidelines (as in, blue lines that indicate that you're 6 pixels from a window's edge or so), and still people got consistent metrics, because Apple's HIG specified them, and developers (mostly) honored them. Does the GNUstep HIG specify any metrics?

Does anyone have a URL for the GNUstep (OpenStep?) Human Interface Guidelines? I couldn't find one in Google.
--
Cheers,
M. Uli Kusterer