Re: Look and Feel

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:43:52 +0100

Le 19 févr. 05, à 22:52, Randi Joseph a écrit :

And I, bored of tons of words about (unexisting) desktops and very tired for years of work on a (existing) application, give up.
GWorkspace is looking for a new maintainer.

Hang in there. I think you will be seeing the fruits of your labor soon.

And you are correct. Etoile does not exist. I dont understand why it is being discussed with prominence.

yep Étoilé doesn't exist currently (in the "user world"), well people interests makes me happy, but the current discussion is really not what I would like to happen.

In some way, the current situation is a bit my fault, because I studied GWorkspace code six months ago before taking the decision to write a Workspace application from scratch, I took this decision because I was unable to find a possibility to solve my technical objections to GWorkspace code in order to reuse parts of the code. I was unhappy with this decision but I really think it wouldn't be fair to have said in such situation : "imho your code is not what it should be, come with me we are going to rewrite everything from scratch." I tried to stay as much as possible quiet about Étoilé because we haven't released anything yet and because of this "issue" with GWorkspace and I didn't 't want to have Enrico feeling bad when you consider the time he has spent on GWorkspace.

Outside of that, GWorkspace and Étoilé Workspace's haven't identical objectives (in my opinion), to take an example Étoilé Workspace won't implement NSBrowser view. NSBrowser view will be supported with TabbedShelf probably in a different way, the components/document orientation too is moving Étoilé Workspace into really different concepts than GWorkspace (to share the code base between both would be overkill I think taking theses facts in account).

However Clipbook and TabbedShelf will probably be reused in Étoilé, and I will take the time to have my changes merged back in GWorkspace if Enrico is interested. I also stated to Enrico I could help him to integrate support in GWorkspace for the desktop oriented frameworks like IconKit, BookmarkKit currently stored Étoilé cvs when they will be ready (I would like to move them somewhere else probably). It was in my plans to see how we can share more code like VFS etc. but currently we need to have something real on Étoilé's side before we can really talk about that.

When you consider what I have just written in this mail and the fact GWorkspace is a reality, has really been improved over the previous year and Étoilé is just vaporware currently, I think Enrico should continue to develop GWorkspace however I understand perfectly he is tired to maintain GWorkspace without help and to receive few support for his work.

It's probably better to code now like Enrico is doing currently unlike me ;-), to work on new themes, icons etc. than to debate too much about projects visibility on GNUstep.org… For people who want to have Étoilé project becoming a reality, time will probably be better spent by suggestions or contributions on Étoilé lists, and suggestions, contributions to GNUstep itself (for -gui especially), moreover such contributions help everybody in GNUstep community… :-)

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr