Re: Crazy Makefile

From: Sébastien Pierre
Subject: Re: Crazy Makefile
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:29:56 +0100

Le 22 févr. 05, à 09:27, Richard Frith-Macdonald a écrit :

I don't think 'crazy' is a term calculated to get you a lot of help ... as
most people view the makefile system as a major asset of GNUstep
(to the point where some use it on MacOS-X to build Cocoa projects)

I confirm that. The GNUstep makefile appeared to me as one of the most powerful and straightforward to use. I actually switched from XCode to GNUstep-make because of the added flexibility.

Maybe you should look at Nicola's tutorials, which are rather clear and will help you get in touch with this "insanely" simple makefile system :

- http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Tutorials/WritingMakefiles/index.html
- http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Tutorials/MoreOnMakefiles/index.html

Also, you can have a look into the System/Library/Makefiles directory to find what variables can be set and used. Eventually, if you run into problems, typing "make messages=yes" allows you to have a verbose compilation, which display the commands used in the build process. It's very helpful !

Cheers,

 -- Sébastien

--
«Priorities are meaningless in a fair context, where threads
always have equal rights to execute.»