Re: Function Keys

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: Function Keys
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:43:58 -0600 (CST)

> May I participate to your work? It would also be interesting to
> provide to developpers an easy to use reference of mandatory shortcuts
> (as per Openstep standard) which are not always implemented while they
> should! Maybe it could somehow be integrated in Gorm (a "check
> shortcuts" feature?)

Yes -- I'd love to get help and support on this. The OpenStep spec does
already specify certain reserved shortcuts for applications (Alt-N New,
Alt-S Save, etc), as you mentioned.

What I am envisioning is something akin to the dedicated volume control,
brightness control, Exposé control keys. These would be used as the
default for the distros that ship, but could be customizable/overridable
by the end user, like Exposé is in OS X (those actually ship default off,
which is a good idea).

We should perhaps start with the ones listed in the OpenStep spec, then
proceed to build a list of environment control functions (like the
volume/brightness listed above), and then start exploring other places
where single button control would improve usability. I'm also looking at
something like this < http://www.datacal.com/ > so that the keys actually
reflect their functionality.

J.