Re: Function Keys

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Function Keys
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:47:53 +0100

At 18:26 Uhr +0100 14.03.2005, Pascal J.Bourguignon wrote:
Now, function keys should be reserved to the user to bind in each
application to whatever function he chooses.

I mostly agree with Pascal. Function keys are the easiest way to perform common tasks. Push one button and they happen. As such, most of them should actually be available for use in applications. Whether they are available because the user set it up that way or because it's a default shortcut of the app isn't really that much in the interest of usability.

That having been said, I think it would still be wise to define a few reserved shortcuts that apps shouldn't use, especially for common actions.
--
Cheers,
M. Uli Kusterer