Re: GWorkspace 0.7.0, System, Applications and restart

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: GWorkspace 0.7.0, System, Applications and restart
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:59:27 +0200

On 2005-03-14 21:47:10 +0200 Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

I've upgraded to GWorkspace 0.7.0 here. I'm struggling with the
following problems. Can anyone help?
> 1. I have to install GWorkspace into /System, rather than my more
normal /Local for everything except core and remote mounts. Why?
Is GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT hardwired or have I misconfigured? If I
try to install into /Local, it can't find its helper Tools and exits.

I've GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR = $(GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT) in all the
makefiles. And the app looks for its tools only in System. This to avoid
problems with duplicate elements.

Well ... but then you can no longer install it somewhere else ... it's a
real pity if you can't. :-(

I'd recommend not putting any GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR in makefiles and I
(obviously) think it should look for the tools first in user, then local,
then system.

If you're worried about duplicates, it could detect them and produce a
warning if there are duplicate tools in different locations.

But the fact that you can install gnustep stuff in different places is
really cool, I don't think you want to lose the feature.

Ok. I'll change this in 0.7.1.