Re: /etc/GNUstep ????

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: /etc/GNUstep ????
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:38:07 +0800

Riccardo wrote:
Hey,

Hey yourself,

who had that brilliant (?) idea of obsoleting stuff in /usr for a config file in /etc/GNUstep ?

That was me! :)

I think it is absolutely stupid to have _another_ GNUstep directory where to put files. So even if this super-smart person thought that X11 was an example to follow and that if xfree.conf exists, gnustep.conf has a reason to exist too in my precious /etc space I think it is not. Having everything confined in /usr/GNUstep is a quite clean thing when GNUstep lives together with other environments.

Of course, I know that ont only X11 but OpenWin too had its space in /etc. But for ecample the CDE guys were different and had the config stuff inside /usr/dt/config

I think that whoever made this change should have at _least_ discussed it and bringing up good arguments for the choice.

As others have pointed out, it was discussed and choices made. Look back from November/December 2003.

FYI, if you don't want to use it you won't have to. And you can tell that file to live somewhere else on your filesystem if you prefer. This is all part of the Grand Design.

Regards,
Sheldon