Re: Known MacOS programmer about WO/EOF

From: Guenther Noack
Subject: Re: Known MacOS programmer about WO/EOF
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:08:41 +0200

Hi!

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:23:00 +0100
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
> Sad but true :-)
> Mostly, they relay on old 3rd persons accounts about GNUstep and don't
> try it themselves; and many don't see the point "as they already have
> Cocoa". The remaining won't help the project "until it will work"
> (that's it, until everything will be smooth and all, they won't even
> try)

Wise words. Please note that Nicolas used quotation marks around the
"until it will work" part of the sentence. ;-) Does it really "have to
work" to attract developers? Don't the core libraries work very well
by now? I think the bigger problem is to "make it look like it works".
;-)

I personally think that when Camaelon 2.0 is released, GNUstep will
suddenly get a small boost of public awareness. It's all about the
look of the interface. (Would OSX have gotten such a big attention
if it wouldn't have had this fancy Aqua-look? ;->) Most people just
can't motivate themselves to try a desktop (*duck*), whose widgets
look this "old".

(This is not intended to be the start of another Theme-related
flamewar. I just want to point out that I personally think people
will take the project more serious when it provides a look and feel
that looks more like KDE, GNOME or OSX.)

-Guenther