Re: GNUStep User introduction

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GNUStep User introduction
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:49:20 +0100

Le 22 avr. 05, à 15:47, SirVer@gmx.de a écrit :

Hi,

i'm new to GNUStep and had no experience with Nextstep or Openstep. I
looked for a non windows like approach to Graphical Desktops and found
it rather intresting.

but - alas - the user documentation is so short, it only mentions
installation and basic configuration - no using.

It would be great to have a 'your first step in GNU/NextStep' in the
wiki somewhere.

Well, GNUstep itself is NOT a desktop -- so such a guide is probably a bit outside the scope of the project (GNUstep is a library implementation plus dev tools).

For a GNUstep-based desktop, look at Backbone and Étoilé.
...even if none of them provides such a guide yet.

But a two seconds search on google ("nextstep ui guide") gives me this page:
http://freespace.virgin.net/linux.users/step_main.html

there's also the original NeXTSTEP visual guide to the interface:
http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/NeXTStep/3.3/nd/UserInterface/ 01_VisualGuide/VisualGuide.htmld/
http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/NeXTStep/3.3/nd/

while thoses pages refers to NeXTSTEP, GNUstep+WindowMaker is close enough that you should find them interesting..

Though, I think Dennis started a similar guide once.. ?

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke