Re: ANN: StepTalk 0.9.0

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: ANN: StepTalk 0.9.0
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:33:01 +0200

Citát Sungjin Chun <chunsj@embian.com>:

> Hi,
> Here comes some questions;
>
> 1. Does this version includes Mac OS X support?

No, not yet. There are two OS X versions: one requiring GNUstep the other
working with Cocoa frameworks. I had not enough feedback for both. I would like
to include the OS X support, however, I have to be sure that it works for more
than one person.

> 2. Can I make new class with StepTalk or subclass from existing classes?

No. And I do not plan to do that. StepTalk is going to have a bit different
object model than ObjectiveC or Smalltalk. There are not going to be classes
and instances. StepTalk is going to have Self-like object model, or a model
resembling Actors. Actually, I would use the term 'actor' for the new objects
to not to confuse with ObjectiveC/Smalltalk object model.

What is going to be be an actor? Basically, it is going to be an object with
methods written in any StepTalk language (currently only Smalltalk bundle
creates methods) and with state represented by a dictionary.

As an added value, one would be able to create script methods for any existing
ObjectiveC object. However, it would be programmer's responsibility of handling
the method execution (in forwardInvocation: perhaps).

Regards,

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi