Display Postscript + Framemaker + Redhat + Gnustep ?

From: bob flynn
Subject: Display Postscript + Framemaker + Redhat + Gnustep ?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:13:46 +0100

All,

This is a fishing email, so please excuse the ambiguity !!

I am looking to do the following.

I currently have alot of Sun workstations, running Framemaker. Documents are created with EPS graphics. These display fine on Sun machines, without having to include a preview image of the graphic, because the Sun X server has a Display Postscript extension ( NeWs ), which allows the EPS image to be rendered on the fly.

Now the problem.

I would like to introduce Linux to this environment. There is only one showstopper to this. There is a large body of framemaker documents with EPS graphics without preview images. Running Redhat enterprise, the X sever does not have a Display Postscript extension ( its not alone, HP-UX and programs like exceed do not have the extension also ), hence creating a problem.

When viewing a document on screen, you simply see a hatched box where an image should be displayed, as there is no preview image available, and the X server
cannot interpet the EPS to render the image.

So why am I writing to this list ?

Well from I have read, gnustep does have a Display Postscript extension built into it

http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/GNUstep/faq_1.html#SEC39

so, I am trying to figure out can I achive the following;

1. Run Red Hat linux
2. With Gnome as the default Windows manager
3. With gnustep installed to render the display postscript as provided by the framemaker documents.

I am unsure of the relationship between gnustep and Gnome, but understand that gnustep is not simply a windows manager.

If someone could clarify the above, and provide pointers to implemenetation I would appreciate it.

Finally, if anyone has experience of this, or how practical, ie how mature the Display Postscript Server is I would appreciate any feedback.

-Bob Flynn

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential
and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you
are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or
retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this
e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: communications@s3group.com.
Thank You.