Re: Cross platform server based development

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Cross platform server based development
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:32:13 -0600

We actually have a GNUstep<->Ruby bridge. But we've never released a version of it - it's just in CVS. Perhaps we should make a release.

On Aug 16, 2005, at 9:40 AM, Nicola Pero wrote:

For server applications, I would strongly recommend GNUstep.  It's very
fast, very well tested, reliable, and easy to integrate with C libraries
and tools.  There are other systems you could use, but for server
development, GNUstep is probably the best one (or one of the best ones).
We use it at work with some very large mission-critical enterprise
systems, and we're very happy with it.

I'm not sure about Python and Ruby though ... I never tried to integrate
it with Python or Ruby so I don't really know about that part ... but I
believe there are projects that will help you with that.

Thanks

Greetings,

I am currently at the dreaming phase of a new Open Source project to
build a n-tier application that serves to simplify and unify data
modeling at a level that would enable Open Source Product Data
Management and Product Lifecycle Management systems.

Being a strong OSX advocate, I am really interested in using Objective-C
along side Java, Python and/or Ruby. This application would be a
headless server that would allow for developers to deploy custom web
applications on top of the server through accessing custom query layers.

Ideally, the application would need to run on Windows :[, BSD and Linux.
Although initial development would probably only be done on Free BSD
only (personal preference)

My reasoning for looking at Objective-C and Python/Ruby is to enable
extremely rapid development with less painful code and architecture
re-work. Since such an application would be rather huge, clean, readable
and robust code is a must.

[question] Is GNU Step geared to allow for such types of development?

Thanks,

Tim